After 10th results are out, there is one common question that strikes in every student’s mind “What next after 10th”? Science, Commerce or Arts? This is a common confusion which most of the students face. Every field has a lot of career opportunities but choosing the right stream which students are interested should be the main concern.
Many of you must have already chosen the stream and subjects which you are going to study in the 11th and 12th. But there could be many who haven’t. The process of proper stream selection is important. This means when a student is in class 10, he/she should start exploring his/her interests and making career plans.
Mistakes students make while choosing their career after 10th
- Following the crowd/friends – Many students just take up any stream because their friends have decided to take that stream. This can turn out to be the worst decision of their lives.
- Parental/Societal pressure – Many times student select wrong stream just because Parental/Societal pressure.
- Lack of knowledge – There are a plethora of career options after 10th. If we go back 10-20 years ago, there were very fewer career options to choose from. But now the scenario is completely different. There are many career options available and with the help of proper career guidance and career counselling, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Now, here are the few tips to choose the right career:
- Create a list: Creating a list helps you to identify the likings and disliking. For eg: the subject or the field you like the most. Based on this list note down 10-15 careers that serve your interest to the best.
- Decide your aim and be focused: The very first step to choose a right career is to have a clean and clear objective pertaining to the aim or goal. Having a clear mission helps you to choose the right path. Till the time you complete 12th, you will have some basic idea concerning the subject/topic of your interest. So go ahead accordingly.
- Analyze each one of the selected careers: Once ready with the listing, analyze each and every career into complete detail. While analyzing facts like minimum qualification, benefit, and drawbacks, salary, and growth, opportunities should be kept in mind.
- Shortlist: Create a list of 4-5 jobs the one most preferred by you. You should be very practical and careful while shortlisting as it is all about your career and future.
- Field Trip: Having a practical knowledge about the career you are planning to choose will help you a lot to decide whether or not you need to pursue that course. Take a field trip to the workplace as it will be helpful to have a good eye on the minute details. For eg: If you want to be a civil engineer visit a construction site. Similarly, visit hospitals or other fields related to your shortlist.
- Shortlist again: Once the field trip is accomplished. Trim down your list again. Now select 1-2 jobs based on your interest and note them down.
- Job Shadowing: It helps you to know more about a specific field if you spend time with the people who are working in that particular field. For example- if you want to become a doctor, meet a local doctor; get to know more about the profession, its demands. Try to spend some time with him.
Career Options After 10th
- Science is the most popular and favourite career option for the majority of the parents and students.
- The best advantage of taking science stream is, it keeps your options open. You might switch from science to commerce or science to arts. But it is not possible to do the other way around.
- Science stream offers many lucrative career options such as engineering, medical, IT and you can even opt for research roles.
- Science and math offer a flexible foundation which enables students to accomplish highly respected and well-paid jobs.
- Taking science stream equips you with excellent problem-solving abilities.
- The science of today is the technology of tomorrow.
Who should take science after 10th?
If technology fascinates you and you have a flair for numbers, then taking science after 10th would be a wise option.
Different combinations of this stream are
- Physics, Chemistry, Maths (PCM)
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB)
- Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology (PCM-B).
Future career in Science stream
Future career Science PCB
- B.Sc. Botany
- B.Sc. Zoology
- B.Sc. Nursing
- B.Sc. Anthropology
- B.Sc. Radiography
- B.Sc. Dairy Technology
- B.Sc. Nutrition and Dietetics
- B.Sc. Home Science
- BAMS (Ayurvedic)
- BHMS (Homoeopathy)
- BUMS (Unani)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.VSc AH)
- Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Science (BNYS)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- General Nursing
- Paramedical Courses
- BMLT (Medical Lab Technology)
- Integrated M.Sc
- B.Sc. Botany
- B.Sc. Zoology
- B.Sc. Nursing
- B.Sc. Anthropology
- B.Sc. Radiography
- B.Sc. Dairy Technology
- B.Sc. Nutrition and Dietetics
- B.Sc. Home Science
- B.Sc. Speech and Language Therapy
- B.Sc. Rehabilitation Therapy
- B.Sc. Occupational Therapy
- B.Sc. Medical Technology
- B.Sc. Audiology
- Other B.Sc. Degree
Future career in Science PCM
- Engineering (B.E/ B.Tech)
- B.Des Arch
- 5 year Integrated BSc M.Sc Course
- Defense (Navy, Army, Air-force)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharma)
- Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA)
- Bachelor in Fashion Technology
- Bachelor in naval architecture and ocean engineering
- Commercial Pilot course
- Merchant Navy courses
- B.Sc. (Physics, Chemistry, Maths)
- Aircraft Engineering
- 4 years Bachelor in Science (BS) course
- And Various Other Degree and Diploma Courses.
- Commerce is the second most popular career option after science. If you love numbers, finances, economics etc., then finance is the best option for you.
- It offers a wider variety of career options such as Chartered Accountants, MBA, investment in banking sectors etc.
- You acquire commercial knowledge which is very important for the business.
- You must be good with numbers, data and have a curiosity in Finance, economics.
After 10th, commerce or business stream in class 11th and 12th offer several courses to choose from, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling:
Commerce and Business subjects like – Accountancy, Business Studies, Commerce, Economics, Economic Geography, Secretarial Practice, Entrepreneurship, etc.
Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other commerce subjects.
Career-oriented subjects like – you may keep a subject like Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc. along with your other Commerce and Business subjects.
Who should take commerce after 10th?
If you have an affinity for numbers, business, economics then commerce is the stream for you.
This is the second most popular stream. If a student like finance, economics, offer them this stream to study. The stream offers various subjects like Business Studies, Statics, Economics, Mathematics, English, Accountancy, etc.
Future career commerce Stream
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)
- Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)
- Bachelor in Business Management/Administration (BBM/A)
- Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA)
- Chartered Financial Analyst Program (CFA)
- Hotel Management
- Chartered Accountancy (CA)
- Company Secretary (CS)
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies)
- BBS (Bachelor of Business Studies)
- B.Com. & B.Com(Hons.)
- Bachelor In Economics
- Bachelor of Journalism (BJ)
- Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM)
- BA in Hospitality & Travel
- BA in Animation
- Diploma in Education (DEd)
- Nowadays arts/humanities are very high in demand and more and more students are opting for it.
- It offers many lucrative career options such as Journalism, languages, history, psychology etc.
- Arts is now emerging as a sought after career choice. It provides students with an array of career opportunities.
- Students who take up art stream develop critical thinking. It also helps you increase your leadership qualities.
After 10th, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling, you can have several subjects to choose from:
Elective Indian Languages like Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Assamese, Urdu, Kashmiri, Manipuri, Mizo, Sanskrit, Nepali, Bodo, etc.
Elective Foreign Languages like English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Korean, Persian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc.
Career-oriented subjects like – Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Multimedia & Web Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc.
Arts and humanities subjects like – Psychology, Economics, Geography, Sociology, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Global Politics, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Home Science, etc.
Fine art and performing art subjects like – Fine Art, Visual Art, Dance, Music, Film, Theatre, Carnatic Music, Hindustani Music, Western Music, etc.
Subject on religion like – Hinduism, Divinity, Islamic Study, etc.
Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other arts and humanities subjects
Who should take Arts after 10th?
If you are a student who is creative and wants to dive deep into humanity, then arts is the stream for you.
There are multiple options available for Arts stream after 10th class. If you have any confusion you can get your career counselling done. A career counsellor will provide you with proper career guidance and guide you in the right direction.
Future career in Arts/Humanities
- B.Sc (Fashion Design),
- B.Design (Fashion)
- B.Sc (Design – Interior and Furniture)
- B.Design (Interior and Furniture)
- B.A. (Journalism and Mass Communication)
- B.Sc (Film and TV Production)
- B.Design (Film and TV Production)
- B.Sc (Hotel Management)
- BHMCT, B.Sc (Airlines, Tourism and, Hospitality)
- BBA (Tourism and Hospitality)
- BBA, BBA-MBA, BBA (IT)
- BBA (Financial Markets)
- BBA (International Finance)
- BBA (Oil and Gas Management)
- B.Sc. (Design – Multimedia)
- B.Sc. (Design – Graphics)
- B.Sc. (Design – Gaming)
- B.Design (Multimedia)
- B.Design (Graphics)
- B.Design (Gaming)
- B.Sc (Economics)
- B.Com. (Management Accounting and International Finance)
- B.Design (Product and Industrial)
- B.A (Fine Arts)
- BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts)
- B.A. (Music Tabla)
- B.A. (Music Vocal)
- B.A. (Theatre)
- BPA (Music Tabla)
- BPA (Music Vocal)
- BPA (Theatre).
- B.A. – B.Ed
- B.Sc – B.Ed
- B.Arch, B.Plan
- BA in Humanities & Social Sciences
Vocational stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, several boards offer vocational streams in class 11th and 12th to help you prepare for a job immediately after the completion of class 12th. You can choose two or more vocational subjects along with compulsory languages. Depending upon in which board you are enrolling into, your vocational subject choices could be:
- Accountancy and Taxation
- Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
- Auto Shop Repair and Practice
- Banking and Insurance
- Beauty and Wellness
- Business Administration
- Business Operations and Administration
- Capital Market Operations
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Computer Theory & System Analyst
- Construction Technology
- Cost Accounting Creche and Pre-school Management
- Database Management Applications
- Design and Innovation
- Electrical Appliances
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Environment Education
- Exterior & Interior Design
- Fashion Design and Garment Technology
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Market Management
- Food and Beverage Services
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food Production
- Front Office Operations
- Garment Construction
- Geospatial Technology
- Graphic Design Technician
- Health and Beauty Studies
- Healthcare Science
- Hospitality Management
- Information Technology Insurance
- IT Application
- Library and Information Science
- Logistics Operations and Supply Chain Management
- MarketingMarketing and Salesmanship
- Mass Media Studies and Production
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Medical Diagnostics
- Music Production
- Office Procedures and Practice
- Office Secretaryship
- Offset Printing Technician
- Operations and Maintenance of Communication Devices
- Retail Operations
- Stenography and Computer Application
- Telecommunication & Electronic Technician
- Textile Design
- Transport Systems and Logistics Management
- Travel and Tourism
- Troubleshooting and Maintenance of Electronic Equipment
- Typography and Computer Application
- Web Applications
- X-Ray Technician
If you have studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10, then you can sit for the polytechnic entrance examination in your state and secure a seat in a polytechnic. After a polytechnic diploma (3-year duration), you can get a job or you can opt for lateral entry into a 4-year B.E./B.Tech. course in Engineering (you can get admission to the 2nd year). Diplomas in these are considered the best course after the 10th.
The top polytechnic diploma courses are:
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Engineering (Environmental)
- Electrical & Electronics
- Cyber Forensics & Information Security
- Digital Electronics
- Applied Electronics & Instrumentation
- Biomedical Electronics
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Electronics
- Power Electronics
- 3-D Animation & Graphics
- Apparel Design & Fashion Technology
- Chemical Technology
- Food Processing
- Water Technology
ITI Courses After 10th
ITI is the best course for those who don’t want to study more and want a quick job after 1-2 years after the 10th class. ITI stands for Industrial Training Institute. It is available in both Private as well as Government both.
There are various types of trades available in ITI such as
- ITI Electrician
- ITI Diesel Mechanic
- ITI Fitter
- ITI Turner
- ITI Wireman
- ITI COPA
- ITI Welder
- ITI Carpenter
- ITI Electronic Mechanic
- ITI Instrument Mechanic
- ITI Plumbing
- ITI Motor Mechanic
- ITI Information Technology
- ITI Automobile and many more
After ITI you can also go for the Diploma and BE/B.Tech for your good career ahead.
Top ITI Certificate Courses (non-technical)
- Baker & Confectioner
- Computer Operator & Programming Assistant
- Food & Beverage Services
- Food Production
- Hair & Skin Care
- Multimedia, Animation, Special Effects
- Travel Tour Assistant
- Old Age Care
- Spa Therapy
It is about the Allied Healthcare Course for those who have the interest to provide clinical services for patients in the supervision of a Physician. It is for two year courses.
- DMLT- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- DHFM – Diploma in Hospital Food Service Management
- DOT – Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology
Short-term Courses –
They are various job oriented courses that provide jobs after a short span of time. Usually, 6-12 months courses are below such as
- Diploma in 2D and 3D Animation
- Diploma in Computer Applications
- Certificate Course in Graphic Designing
- Certificate Programme in MS-Office
- Certificate Course in Web Designing
- Certificate Course in Programming Language (JAVA, C++, PHP, SQL)
- Certification Course in SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
How to pick the education board? Should you go CBSE or ICSE or IB?
You have finished your 10th. Now you are planning to pick an education board which is most suitable for you and which will help skyrocket your career. Choosing between CBSE, ICSE and IB is not an easy option. Each education board has its own advantages. When it comes to having the best education, choosing the right board and school is very necessary. Let’s look at the perks of choosing any education board. It will be easier for you to decide which board to opt for.
Benefits of ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education)
- ICSE students become naturally very good in English because of their in-depth curriculum.
- ICSE is considered to be the toughest board. The curriculum of ICSE is very comprehensive and it encompasses all fields with equal importance.
- The syllabus and structure of ICSE are in such a way that it enables students to look beyond textbooks and have practical insights into the concepts.
- Amount and content of syllabus might be high, but it also develops high knowledge among the students. You might have heard that what CBSE teaches you in 11th or 12th, ICSE board has already taught the concepts in 9th. Such impact and resourceful is ICSE’s curriculum.
- The standard and curriculum of ICSE gives the students a strong foundation and make them ready for their future.
Benefits of CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education)
- CBSE emphasizes on skill development.
- Probably the most popular education board and the national board of our country. CBSE has an integrated curricular approach which helps develop holistic individuals.
- Most of the competitive exams such as JEE mains and advanced are conducted by CBSE.
- The most important advantage of CBSE board is that it offers flexibility to choose the subjects based on student’s interest. The overall structure of CBSE is very compact and it doesn’t allow you to feel any pressure.
Benefits of IB (International Baccalaureate)
- IB board helps you become more culturally aware.
- If you are planning to study abroad then IB board can help you get admission abroad.
- It helps you to get Global Affiliation.
- IB board gives you the flexibility to select your own subjects.
- Their curriculum helps in the all-round development of a student.
What are the courses available after the 10th?
There are mainly three-stream Arts, Commerce and Science for the best way to go further study
And some other courses available after 10th class such as Diploma courses, ITI courses, short term computer and other courses.
What are the subjects in science?
There Mainly five subjects in Science Stream (1) Group A – Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English. (2) Group B – Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English. And One subject is selected as per school.
Which is the best course after the 10th?
There are a lot of best courses after 10th class but it depends upon our interest and what is the scope of that course in the future.
You can choose any stream from Arts, Commerce Science and go for further study or also go for Polytechnic Diploma Courses.